Eventually we all knew it was a nearby cafe that had burnt down.
* have a working smoke alarm in place. When you insepct the place make sure that it works. If it doesn’t tell your landlord or proerty manager. By law you need to have one in place so that it does warn you when a fire is around. You can’t smell the smoke when you are asleep. And don’t cover it up.
* Practise your fire plan once a year
* If you live in a share house change the battery once a year.
* Also never leave your cooking unattended as I know that there has been a few house fires
* Never leave the heater or the stove on whilst you are out or in bed
* Never let clothes or paper go near the heater as they will set alight